You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After choosing to "download originals to this mac" photos do not show up in Photos library master file and I can't extract them to move them. Please help!

Hi all!

I took advice of another thread on here for transferring photos in bulk out of Photos Library to another photo management program. To do that I chose to "Download originals to this Mac" in iCloud settings so that all my photo from phones and iPads and what not would download into Photos Library.

When I am in the Photos app I can see that it has downloaded originals.

Yet, when I then go into Photos Library --> Show Package Contents --> Master file, where all originals should be stored and easily extractable, I only see some of the photos that were downloaded and stored a long time ago, but none of the new photos I downloaded from the iCloud!

Any ideas of where they are or may have gone or how I can make them visible?

I double-checked that I am using the right Photos Library, but weirdly the size of that file itself also has not changed since Photos said it's downloaded the originals...

I need to move several years of photos from iCloud to the Lightroom and I believe based on what other users have suggested this is the easiest way to move them with dates in tact, so I really need to figure out why they are not showing up...

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 9:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 9:47 AM

The system version below your post is OS X 10.11, but could it be, that you are now using macOS 10.15 Catalina?

Then you can no longer extract the originals from the Masters folder. If there is still a Masters folder, the upgrade of the library has not been complete.

Photos 5 on Catalina is storing the originals in a folder "originales" and changing the filenames.

You will have to use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified Originals" to save the original image files. And I would enable the option "Export IPTC as XMP". This will create a sidecar file with the metadata.

If you are still using OS X 10.11, you may have to wait, until all originals have been downloaded. View your photos enlarged to force a download.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2020 9:47 AM in response to CatsAndApples

The system version below your post is OS X 10.11, but could it be, that you are now using macOS 10.15 Catalina?

Then you can no longer extract the originals from the Masters folder. If there is still a Masters folder, the upgrade of the library has not been complete.

Photos 5 on Catalina is storing the originals in a folder "originales" and changing the filenames.

You will have to use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified Originals" to save the original image files. And I would enable the option "Export IPTC as XMP". This will create a sidecar file with the metadata.

If you are still using OS X 10.11, you may have to wait, until all originals have been downloaded. View your photos enlarged to force a download.

After choosing to "download originals to this mac" photos do not show up in Photos library master file and I can't extract them to move them. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.