You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes automatically start play when airplay from other media app

Weird stuff happens with my Macbook and iTunes, latest everything.

When I play music with VLC or VOX through Airplay speakers, iTunes automatically opens up and start playing.

He wants the stage all for himself, no matter what.

Anybody knows a fix to this.

iTunes should play only when I ask him to play, and leave other players on Airplay alone.

Can't figure it out.

Only when connected to Airplay speakers.

By wire, everything acts normally, as it should be.

Play, Forward , drop of an album folder on VOX or VLC, triggers iTunes to open and start playing...

Anybody out there with a fix??

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 10:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 11:54 AM

Hi tropicalsnowstorm,

We see you're having some issues with iTunes opening automatically without you intending it to. Does this only happen with certain format media that you play with these other apps? Does the issue persist in another user account on the Mac? Can you let us know which macOS version you're running specifically? You can find that by clicking the Apple logo at the top left of your screen and selecting About This Mac.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 29, 2020 11:54 AM in response to tropicalsnowstorm

Hi tropicalsnowstorm,

We see you're having some issues with iTunes opening automatically without you intending it to. Does this only happen with certain format media that you play with these other apps? Does the issue persist in another user account on the Mac? Can you let us know which macOS version you're running specifically? You can find that by clicking the Apple logo at the top left of your screen and selecting About This Mac.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Aug 29, 2020 4:48 PM in response to tropicalsnowstorm

Dear Joseph_S,

as I said:

I've got the latest of everything. Fully updated.

MacBook Pro 16", Catalina 10.latest , iTunes latest.last.

That's not an issue.

When I play music on VOX and VLC (and I believe any other player in the world), liquid music can be any format; mp3. mp4, wav, Flac. alas ect.

Doesn't matter.

Whatever action I do on these common third app, It triggers the opening of iTunes.

There is something at command control level which I cannot grasp.

For the account, the computer is only mine, I have 1 account only, which is administrator account.

I've already talked with Apple customer care support, they can't understand what triggers iTunes.

Apparently Airplay can work only with iTunes open, which I don't believe...that's dumb.

If I stream YouTube via Airplay or else on Safari, nothing happens, meaning that Safari knows how to handle airplay and the sound.

the solution must be searched in some automation or command line.

I believe something can be deactivated between sound card, airplay, and automation control...

Sometime Apple is so dumb in its ecosystem.... you wouldn't believe...

cheers

iTunes automatically start play when airplay from other media app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.