You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using two iMacs in Target Display Mode as monitors for MacBook Pro?!

Hi! I can't find the answer to this anywhere and I've tried it but am not sure if it's not working because there's a technical limitation or if it's due to user error.

I have a 2010 iMac and a 2012 iMac that I want to use as dual monitors for my 2015 MacBook Pro.

Is this feasible?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 2:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 3:24 PM

The 2012 iMac requires a Thunderbolt, cable, the 2010 iMac requires an MDP cable & the 2010 iMac needs to be 27"...

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2020 3:24 PM in response to alwayschaos

The 2012 iMac requires a Thunderbolt, cable, the 2010 iMac requires an MDP cable & the 2010 iMac needs to be 27"...

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

Aug 28, 2020 2:36 PM in response to rkaufmann87

lol well if it *is* feasible, then how would you go about it? So far I have tried the following two methods:

1. Connect each iMac individually to the Macbook using Thunderbolt cables.
  2. Connect the iMacs to one another using Thunderbolt, and connecting one of them to the laptop using Thunderbolt.

In both cases, I can only get Target Display Mode to load on ONE of the iMacs.

Using two iMacs in Target Display Mode as monitors for MacBook Pro?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.