You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I retrieve deleted messages from one contact they Swede so important

How to retrieve text from one contact

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 5:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 5:19 PM

In general deleted messages are gone forever. The one exception is if you do NOT sync messages to iCloud and you have a backup that contains the message you can restore that backup to the phone. This will replace everything on the phone, however, not just the one message.

6 replies

Aug 30, 2020 7:26 PM in response to NandanLozada

We are a public user forum.. you cannot call us and we cannot call you.

I think you will need to provide more information related to what Lawrence Finch posted for you

Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and tell us if the switch for Messages is turned on (switch will be green)

If this switch is on/green, you can stop reading here because you cannot recover the message(s)

If the switch is off, you need to figure out if you have an iPhone backup that would contain the deleted messages.

So.. the first question will be, do you back up your iPhone? To do this you would have to hook your phone up to a computer and back it up. Or if you go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.. is the switch on or off?

If that switch is off and you didn't back your phone up with a computer, again you can stop reading here because you will not be able to recover the messages.

So.. If you have a backup on your computer that was made after you got those messages and before you deleted them, then you would need to restore your iPhone with this backup. In doing this, you will lose anything you've done on your phone between now and when that backup was made.

If your phone is backing up to iCloud, we're not really going to know if those messages still exist. It'll come down to timing. iCloud backup will update whenever your phone is plugged in, connected to wifi and locked/sleeping. So if this has occurred since you deleted those messages, you might not recover them.

I don't use iCloud backup, but I believe I read that it keeps a couple of backups. Someone else may have to comment in or you might have to wait to hear back from Lawrence on that one.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

How can I retrieve deleted messages from one contact they Swede so important

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.