You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight indexing issue

Hello,

I have a macbook pro retina late 2013. I have added a micro SD card to it. The spotlight search doesn't return any results from the SD card. When i reindex, it starts to search within the SD card and i get results in spotlight but after some time, if i put the lid down and open it again at a different time i find that it is no longer searching in the SD card again and i have to reindex for it to work again

I have tried to find the indexing file to see what happens to it (does its size change etc) using the below command:

sudo du -m /.Spotlight-V100

But the command returns:

du: /.Spotlight-V100: No such file or directory

I am unable to get my spolight to work on the contents of my micro SD card. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 9:49 AM

Hi The Great Neo,

Thanks for your post! We understand that when searching in Spotlight, your device will not search your micro SD card. If you haven't yet, try performing an SMC reset.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

If the issue persists, see if the issue continues in another user.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know what you find out!

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2020 9:49 AM in response to The Great Neo

Hi The Great Neo,

Thanks for your post! We understand that when searching in Spotlight, your device will not search your micro SD card. If you haven't yet, try performing an SMC reset.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

If the issue persists, see if the issue continues in another user.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know what you find out!

Take care!

Spotlight indexing issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.