You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading Catalina 10.15.6 to 10.15.3

My version of Protools is only comparable with Catalina 10.15.3 and without knowing it I updated my OS to 10.15.6

How do I or can I downgrade?

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 6:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 9:06 PM

Hey there! Did you upgrade from Mojave to Catalina? Or just from 10.15.3 to 10.15.6?

If you have a Time Machine backup, you can boot to recovery mode, and restore the backup from the date you had the version of OS you need.

This would erase everything currently on your hard drive, and replace it with what you had on the time of the backup, so if you have data saved since the update or upgrade, you can save it to an external drive or iCloud etc. first.

This process would take you back to the version you need for Pro Tools to work, probably the only way to do so, unless you have a bootable installer created with that OS version before hand.

So if you really need Pro Tools working again and their current updates aren’t compatible that should work, hope it works out! (Or that a Pro Tools update comes soon that does work)! Cheers!

This article may explain it better than me:

Restore your Mac from a backup:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2020 9:06 PM in response to Catmackerelmuzic

Hey there! Did you upgrade from Mojave to Catalina? Or just from 10.15.3 to 10.15.6?

If you have a Time Machine backup, you can boot to recovery mode, and restore the backup from the date you had the version of OS you need.

This would erase everything currently on your hard drive, and replace it with what you had on the time of the backup, so if you have data saved since the update or upgrade, you can save it to an external drive or iCloud etc. first.

This process would take you back to the version you need for Pro Tools to work, probably the only way to do so, unless you have a bootable installer created with that OS version before hand.

So if you really need Pro Tools working again and their current updates aren’t compatible that should work, hope it works out! (Or that a Pro Tools update comes soon that does work)! Cheers!

This article may explain it better than me:

Restore your Mac from a backup:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Sep 4, 2020 11:05 PM in response to Catmackerelmuzic

I have just had a look at the Protools website and Protools first is supported in 10.15.6,

and Protools and Protools Ultimate are also supported in 10.15.6, with some caveats,

see if these affect you.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-System-Requirements

Never have your mac set to auto update.

Open System Preferences> Software Update and uncheck Automatically keep my mac up to date.

Downgrading Catalina 10.15.6 to 10.15.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.