You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay not working on my iMac

I've got a strange problem. I can connect to my Sonos One SL from every other device that I have, including an iPhone X, a MacBook Pro, and I can even connect to it via the Sonos S2 App on my iMac and the Spotify Connect App on my iMac.

But... when I try to connect via AirPlay from my iMac, it fails every time. I don't understand why all my other devices and even some apps on my iMac can connect, but the AirPlay is not working.

All software and operating systems are up to date on all devices. I've tried power cycling (which is not practical if I need to do that every time). It is clearly something buggy on the iMac, since even my MacBook Pro and iPhone X work.

Any suggestions?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 7:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 8:56 AM

Hey Everyone -

This is solved. I wish I had thought of this sooner. The iMac was plugged into Ethernet. It worked as soon as I unplugged the Ethernet cable and went WiFi only. Even though the exact same network.

Any idea if there is any way to stay plugged into Ethernet and still use AirPlay? If not, I'm just going to go wireless...

Thanks,

C

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 3, 2020 8:56 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hey Everyone -

This is solved. I wish I had thought of this sooner. The iMac was plugged into Ethernet. It worked as soon as I unplugged the Ethernet cable and went WiFi only. Even though the exact same network.

Any idea if there is any way to stay plugged into Ethernet and still use AirPlay? If not, I'm just going to go wireless...

Thanks,

C

Sep 2, 2020 10:26 AM in response to clozner

Sorry I couldn't be of better help. Just wanted to make sure the basics were covered.

I find it interesting if you look at the Mac help Guides, they only mention AppleTV with Airplay (at least the ones I have found).

There have been a couple of posts lately about problems with Airplay to non-AppleTV. I seem to remember that it only needed to be a device with Airplay capability.

AirPlay not working on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.