You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos actual size

For pictures that are smaller than the viewing area, Photos enlarges it to fit and I will get pixelation on the photo depending on it's size.

The sizing bar on the viewer has no effect on these smaller pictures. How can I get small photos to appear as actual size

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 5:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 5:35 PM

Opening a picture that is smaller than the window will size it up to fit just like opening a picture that is larger than the window will size it down to fit. This is the expected behavior in Photos and I do not know of any way to override this.

You could re-size your Photos window to a size closer to that of the small picture that you're opening.

You can right-click on a photo and use the Edit With command to use a different app to open it such as Preview which would not automatically enlarge it to fill the screen.

I realize that neither of these are great options but that's all that comes to mind.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 3, 2020 5:35 PM in response to Ken Hart

Opening a picture that is smaller than the window will size it up to fit just like opening a picture that is larger than the window will size it down to fit. This is the expected behavior in Photos and I do not know of any way to override this.

You could re-size your Photos window to a size closer to that of the small picture that you're opening.

You can right-click on a photo and use the Edit With command to use a different app to open it such as Preview which would not automatically enlarge it to fill the screen.

I realize that neither of these are great options but that's all that comes to mind.

Photos actual size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.