You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard for typing alphabets other than English/Latin

I've recently returned to using a Mac after several years working on iPad & iPhone. I need to be able to switch to typing in languages that don't use the English/Latin alphabet, including Russian, Arabic, Tigrinya/Ge'ez/Amharic, & others. I can do this easily on my iPad, either on the external bluetooth keyboard or with the onscreen keyboard for that particular writing system. I'm sure I used to know how to do this on the Mac, but the last Mac I was using was a MacBook Gr4 on a much older OS. Can someone please tell me how to do this?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 1:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 3:41 PM

Change the language your Mac uses

Although your Mac is set to display the language of the country or region in which it was purchased, you can choose a different language to use. For example, if you bought your Mac in the United States but you work primarily in French, you can set your Mac to use French.

You can also choose different languages for individual apps. For example, if your system language is set to Simplified Chinese, but you prefer to use a certain app in English, you can do so.

Change the system language

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Language & Region.
  2. Click General.
  3. Do any of the following:
  • Add a language: Click the Add button , select one or more languages in the list, then click Add.
  • The list is divided by a separator line. Languages above the line are system languages that are fully supported by macOS and are shown in menus, messages, websites, and more. Languages below the line aren’t fully supported by macOS, but may be supported by apps that you use, and shown in their menus and messages, and on some websites.
    • If you can’t use the input source that’s selected in the Input menu to type a selected language, a list of available sources is shown. If you don’t add an input source now, you can add it later in the Input Sources pane of Keyboard preferences.
  • Change the primary language: Drag a different preferred language to the top of the Preferred languages list.
  • If macOS or an app supports the primary language, menus and messages are shown in that language. If it doesn’t, it uses the second language in the list, and so on. The language may also be used on websites that support the language.

If your Mac has multiple users and you want everyone to see the language you chose as the primary language in the login window, click the Action pop-up menu , then choose Apply to Login Window.

Choose the language you use for individual apps

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Language & Region.
  2. Click Apps.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • Choose a language for an app: Click the Add button , choose an app and a language from the pop-up menus, then click Add.
    • Change the language for an app in the list: Select the app, then choose a new language from the pop-up menu.
    • Remove an app from the list: Select the app, then click the Remove button . The app uses the default language again.

If the app is open, you may need to close and then reopen it to see the change.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2020 3:41 PM in response to AbaBrukh

Change the language your Mac uses

Although your Mac is set to display the language of the country or region in which it was purchased, you can choose a different language to use. For example, if you bought your Mac in the United States but you work primarily in French, you can set your Mac to use French.

You can also choose different languages for individual apps. For example, if your system language is set to Simplified Chinese, but you prefer to use a certain app in English, you can do so.

Change the system language

2. Click General.
  3. Do any of the following:
  • Add a language: Click the Add button , select one or more languages in the list, then click Add.
  • The list is divided by a separator line. Languages above the line are system languages that are fully supported by macOS and are shown in menus, messages, websites, and more. Languages below the line aren’t fully supported by macOS, but may be supported by apps that you use, and shown in their menus and messages, and on some websites.
    • If you can’t use the input source that’s selected in the Input menu to type a selected language, a list of available sources is shown. If you don’t add an input source now, you can add it later in the Input Sources pane of Keyboard preferences.
  • Change the primary language: Drag a different preferred language to the top of the Preferred languages list.
  • If macOS or an app supports the primary language, menus and messages are shown in that language. If it doesn’t, it uses the second language in the list, and so on. The language may also be used on websites that support the language.

If your Mac has multiple users and you want everyone to see the language you chose as the primary language in the login window, click the Action pop-up menu , then choose Apply to Login Window.

Choose the language you use for individual apps

2. Click Apps.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • Choose a language for an app: Click the Add button , choose an app and a language from the pop-up menus, then click Add.
    • Change the language for an app in the list: Select the app, then choose a new language from the pop-up menu.
    • Remove an app from the list: Select the app, then click the Remove button . The app uses the default language again.

If the app is open, you may need to close and then reopen it to see the change.

Sep 5, 2020 2:45 AM in response to AbaBrukh

AbaBrukh wrote:

I need to be able to switch to typing in languages that don't use the English/Latin alphabet

You just go to system preferences > keyboard > input sources and add all the keyboards you need. Then you select the one you want at any time by going to the "flag" menu at the top right of the screen.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/10.15/mac/10.15

Apple does not yet provide a keyboard for Amharic (although there is a font). For that see

https://software.sil.org/abyssinica/

Sep 11, 2020 10:46 AM in response to AbaBrukh

I have an additional related question. Sometime in the past I successfully installed two fonts for typing Eritrean & Ethiopian languages such as Tigrinya & Amharic (the fonts I'm looking for are gf zemen & abyssinicasil) on my iPad, but I've been unable to recall how or to successfully do the same on my iPhone 6s. I've been able to locate both fonts in searches, but they appear to be only available for Mac & Windows. Can someone advise me as to how I can load these fonts on my phone (& also on my newer iPad)?

Thanks

Skip

Keyboard for typing alphabets other than English/Latin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.