You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run two external monitors on a 2012 MacBook pro?

computer: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1TB SSD - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB - 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

Currently, have one monitor setup using a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter all good there, but how can I add another external monitor? The second monitor has a VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI, and USB 2 port. Both monitors are HP.

What's the cheapest way to run two external monitors in this situation? I would prefer an HDMI cable method since I already have two of these. I will not have my MacBook open when using two monitors. Thank you in advance for your time and help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 2:05 PM

6 replies

Sep 5, 2020 2:23 PM in response to jpizzle69

jpizzle69 wrote:

computer: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1TB SSD - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB - 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - 2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
Currently, have one monitor setup using a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter all good there, but how can I add another external monitor? The second monitor has a VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI, and USB 2 port. Both monitors are HP.
What's the cheapest way to run two external monitors in this situation? I would prefer an HDMI cable method since I already have two of these. I will not have my MacBook open when using two monitors. Thank you in advance for your time and help!

I do not see this supported—

ref:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp649?locale=en_US

Sep 5, 2020 3:34 PM in response to jpizzle69

You can't run a full speed, accelerated graphics display (suitable for movies or editing).

But if you wanted a display for slow boring stuff like stock quotes or program listings, and do not plan to do much mouse-tracking on it, you can buy a "simulated" display adapter

This solution creates an unaccelerated screen buffer in main RAM, and send the data out over slow interfaces like USB to an external stunt-box that rasterizes it and connects to the actual display over ordinary display cables. This whole thing is run by DisplayLink software and some special DisplayLink chips in the stunt-box.

NewerTech USB 3.0/2.0 to DVI, VGA, HDMI --Video Display Adapter -- $44.99

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/VIDU3DVIA/

The disadvantage of this solution is it adds lag and delay, so it is only suitable for things that are not changing quickly.

Sep 5, 2020 4:47 PM in response to jpizzle69

No. generally an HDMI splitter can run the same picture on each display.

There is a model that can accept the input formatted for a wide display and split it into two grainy lower-resolution displays. But you can't exceed the 2560 wide that your computer can produce, so that is what you would then split into two. So it really does not gain you anything, and is more complicated.

In general, you would be better served by buying a more capable computer than spending money on things to hang off the side of it.

Sep 5, 2020 4:56 PM in response to jpizzle69

The latest high-end MacBook Pro13-in 2020 model:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution: 6016x3384 (6K)*

Details:* In addition to simultaneous support of the internal display, this model supports:

a single external 6K display up to 6016x3384 at 60Hz at over a billion colors,

a single external 5K display up to 5120x2880 at 60Hz at over a billion colors,

or two external 4K displays up to 4096x2304 resolution at 60Hz via Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C).

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.3-quad-core-13-2020-4-thunderbolt-3-ports-scissor-specs.html

Can I run two external monitors on a 2012 MacBook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.