You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I only have 1600 songs in my library, while I have 7000 songs in my playlist? Aren’t songs that I add to my playlist supposed to automatically go into my library?

Why do I only have 1600 songs in my library, while I have 7000 songs in my playlist? Aren’t songs that I add to my playlist supposed to automatically go into my library?

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 7:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 8:38 AM

On Apple Music, by default, songs that you add to playlists don't automatically add to your library. If you want to add each song to your library, you can change your settings.

source: Create and share Apple Music playlists - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 6, 2020 9:53 AM in response to kenfromgreensboro

kenfromgreensboro wrote:
Aren’t songs that I add to my playlist supposed to automatically go into my library?

What I said and I repeat, is you have to change your settings because by default on Apple Music, you add songs to a playlist but they do NOT get added to your library.

To change the default setting:

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Open Settings.
  2. Scroll down and tap Music.
  3. Turn ON Add Playlist Songs. (Ensure the indicator is green)

On your Mac

1. Open the Apple Music app.
  2. In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. Select "Add songs to Library when adding to playlists." (Put a tick in the box)
  5. Click OK.

Sep 8, 2020 7:08 AM in response to kenfromgreensboro

No that did not solve my problem. Everytime that I have my phone hooked up in my car via USB and I get a phone call, after I hang up, it goes back to my library instead of my playlist. I only have 1600 songs in my library, but I have 7000 songs in my playlist. If it's going to go back to my library each time, I want my playlist to be in my library. How can I make this happen. I have all the boxes checked and all the switches turned on to add songs that I add to my playlist to add to my library as well, but it does not do it. Can this be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.