You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop the web site pop ups on ipad mail

When reading the NY Times and other content in iPas email, if I let my finger linger too long on the content, A web page pops up, taking half the screen and is very difficult to close.How can I keep this from happening? It is extremely aggravating.

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 11:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 4:22 PM

There is a distinction between a simple “tap” and a “long touch” - these being different gestures for the touch-based User Interface (UI) employed by iOS/iPadOS.

What you are seeing is the long-touch gesture - which, when triggered, opens both a preview of an embedded link and an Action Menu.

It is possible (although not recommended) to inhibit the preview function by globally disabling Multitasking on your iPad - but this effectively neuters much of the advanced functionality of your iPad:

Settings > Home Screen & Dock > Multi Tasking >

• Allow Multiple Apps - set to OFF
  • Gestures - set to OFF
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 6, 2020 4:22 PM in response to jred922

There is a distinction between a simple “tap” and a “long touch” - these being different gestures for the touch-based User Interface (UI) employed by iOS/iPadOS.

What you are seeing is the long-touch gesture - which, when triggered, opens both a preview of an embedded link and an Action Menu.

It is possible (although not recommended) to inhibit the preview function by globally disabling Multitasking on your iPad - but this effectively neuters much of the advanced functionality of your iPad:

Settings > Home Screen & Dock > Multi Tasking >

• Allow Multiple Apps - set to OFF
  • Gestures - set to OFF

How do I stop the web site pop ups on ipad mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.