You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User is deleted, but still shows up on login screen

So, had one extra standard user. I deleted the user and all data but when I reach the login screen the user is still visible as an option. And all settings I set to log in with username and password instead of selecting user doesn't work. Nothing I do seem to influence that screen.

Running the latest version of Catalina on a Mac Mini.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 2:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 10:56 PM

Solved it. I added a user with the same account name but different name so the folder was theoretically the same. Logged in and out into both accounts and then from admin account deleted it. Now it works!

8 replies

Sep 9, 2020 6:14 AM in response to mikaelcedergren

Hello mikaelcedergren,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

We understand you are experiencing some issues with a user account on your Mac. We are happy to help with this.

When deleting that user account, we want to make sure we are following the steps outlined in this article:

Delete a user or group on Mac

If the account still remains after doing these steps, please try logging in to Safe Mode on your Mac and try deleting it again:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

Best Regards.

User is deleted, but still shows up on login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.