You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I watch movies I have on my iMac my AppleTV 4k?

I have several movies in an external HDD connected to my iMac that I would like to watch in my AppleTV 4k.

I imported them to the TVapp in the iMac, but they don't sync with the AppleTV, knowing Apple ID is the same in both devices.

Using AirPlay is not functional for me since the iMac and the AppleTV are in different rooms.

Also, useful to know: my TV doesn't have any USB port.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 5:40 AM

10 replies

Sep 9, 2020 8:05 AM in response to shortyhouse

Home Sharing must be turned on in both the computer (what computer is it a Mac OR a PC) and on the Apple TV.

If you have a Mac running iTunes, that is where you turn on Home Sharing. If you are running Catalina, you will find it in System Preferences. In Catalina, You must also turn on System Preferences - Sharing - Check the Media Sharing box and check the Home Sharing box.

I do this all the time with my Mac, I have about a 1000 movies on an external drive, import them into the Apple TV app in Catalina and watch them using my Apple TV 4K unit. Works perfectly!

Sep 9, 2020 8:09 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi rkaufmann87!

Thank a lot! It actually helps me a lot. Just a question since I'm using an external HDD as you.

When importing to the AppleTV app in the iMac? Does the app makes a duplicate of your file or does it just links to the external drive? Just to know if I can import several movies or just the ones I want to watch at the moment.

How about SRT files? Any idea how to read them once in the Apple TV?

Thanks

Sep 9, 2020 8:57 AM in response to shortyhouse

No duplicate is made really it's mostly just an alias. In the TV App on the iMac (Catalina only) you can import the whole library. The instructions are:

File - Import - navigate to the folder where the movies are in your External Hard Disk and it should import them.

I use an app to gather all the Meta data on my movies, it is called MetaMovie.app this should take the place of your SRT files. What the app does is it gets all the Meta data (including the art, director, actors and summary of the movie) and then it has the ability to export to the TV App. Very handy apps.

How can I watch movies I have on my iMac my AppleTV 4k?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.