You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you retrieve photos from iphoto after upgrade to 64 bit version

So, my computer updated to Catalina and now I cannot retrieve my photos (at least not through opening the app) that are in iPHoto. Anyone know how to retrieve these uber important, family photos? (It is my understanding that Apple is no longer supporting iPhoto.)

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 6:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 6:32 AM

Launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new Photos Library with your iPhoto media. Your old iPhoto Library will not be changed.

If you have issues with this procedure, let us know.

2 replies

Sep 9, 2020 7:02 AM in response to belen131

belen131 wrote:

So, my computer updated to Catalina and now I cannot retrieve my photos (at least not through opening the app) that are in iPHoto. Anyone know how to retrieve these uber important, family photos? (It is my understanding that Apple is no longer supporting iPhoto.)

The only complication would be if the original macOS was extremely outdated, then moving to Catalina,

Otherwise as recommended above, holding the Option key when you launch the Photos.app to see your libraries:

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple ...

how do you retrieve photos from iphoto after upgrade to 64 bit version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.