You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Almost Full

Most of my hard drive is being used by Photos. I know I can optimize the storage using the iCloud, but I'm guessing that will so down editing the pictures. I'd rather keep the full size pics local, and have iCloud back-up the files. Is it possible to move my Photos to an external hard drive, and back them up to the iCloud, and still have the Time Machine back-up Photos on another separate external hard drive? I'm a little paranoid of loosing them.

Thanks in advance.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 2:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 9:54 PM

Yes, you can move your Photos library to an external drive, make that library your System Photo Library, then connect it to iCloud Photos. I've done that in the past on my iMac, and I'm now in the process of moving it to a large, faster (SSD) drive.

Yes, Time Machine will still be able to back up your library on the external drive to another eternal drive, provided the Time Machine drive has enough space for the backups. (One rule of thumb is that the T M target drive should be three times as large as the source drive (or the sum of several sources).)

However, you shouldn't think of iCloud Photos as a backup. It is primarily a vehicle for distributing photos, videos. and changes to them among several devices. (A secondary capability is reducing the storage use on some of those devices, with the tradeoff of speed and the need to be net-connected when editing or enlarging photos or playing videos.) Because iCloud Photos distributes changes, an edit or deletion on one device propagates to the cloud version and to other devices; as a result, you cannot just restore from the cloud to correct user error. It does work OK if the problem is loss of the local device.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2020 9:54 PM in response to dpodracky

Yes, you can move your Photos library to an external drive, make that library your System Photo Library, then connect it to iCloud Photos. I've done that in the past on my iMac, and I'm now in the process of moving it to a large, faster (SSD) drive.

Yes, Time Machine will still be able to back up your library on the external drive to another eternal drive, provided the Time Machine drive has enough space for the backups. (One rule of thumb is that the T M target drive should be three times as large as the source drive (or the sum of several sources).)

However, you shouldn't think of iCloud Photos as a backup. It is primarily a vehicle for distributing photos, videos. and changes to them among several devices. (A secondary capability is reducing the storage use on some of those devices, with the tradeoff of speed and the need to be net-connected when editing or enlarging photos or playing videos.) Because iCloud Photos distributes changes, an edit or deletion on one device propagates to the cloud version and to other devices; as a result, you cannot just restore from the cloud to correct user error. It does work OK if the problem is loss of the local device.

Hard Drive Almost Full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.