You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Downloads” can’t be found.

Once i deleted the Folder '' Downloads'' and i couldn't find it. i don't know how i put it back. I created a new folder Downloads but it's not original. Can anyone support me to put the ''Downloads'' folder back ?

MacBook

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 3:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 2:03 PM

The problem isn't the new Downloads folder. You don't need to resurrect the old one.

You need to remove the broken alias from the Sidebar, then replace it with one that points to your new downloads folder. Ctrl-click on the folder in the Sidebar and choose Remove. Then drag the new Downloads folder into the Sidebar.

You probably need to fix the permissions on the new Downloads folder, though.

Select it in the Finder window, and Get Info.

In the Sharing & Permissions section, click the padlock to unlock the pane.

There is probably a Staff entry with Read only. Select it and click the Remove ( – ) button.

For everyone, set it to no access.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2020 2:03 PM in response to leducnghia2510

The problem isn't the new Downloads folder. You don't need to resurrect the old one.

You need to remove the broken alias from the Sidebar, then replace it with one that points to your new downloads folder. Ctrl-click on the folder in the Sidebar and choose Remove. Then drag the new Downloads folder into the Sidebar.

You probably need to fix the permissions on the new Downloads folder, though.

Select it in the Finder window, and Get Info.

In the Sharing & Permissions section, click the padlock to unlock the pane.

There is probably a Staff entry with Read only. Select it and click the Remove ( – ) button.

For everyone, set it to no access.

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Downloads” can’t be found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.