You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back my Macbook Pro to iCloud

I have an antique Macbook Pro (2009) and I need to backup the info and docs on it so I can download them to my new Macbook Pro (2020). How do I do that?

MacBook Pro 17″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 12:03 PM

2 replies

Sep 13, 2020 1:31 PM in response to SBGOS

It is not a backup but if your old MacBook Pro is running OS X Yosemite 10.10 or later you can turn on iCloud Drive and and move files to the iCloud Drive folder in Finder. They will sync to the iCloud Drive folder on your new Mac when you turn on that option there. Note that iCloud only offers 5GB of free storage so if you will have more than that you will need to buy more. It is a monthly subscription and you can downgrade when/if you no longer need it.

More information in: iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

If your Mac is running OS X 10.10.3 or later you can turn on iCloud Photos and they will sync to iCloud and to your new Mac when you turn on the same option there. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

However, you may want to consider the following instead: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

How do I back my Macbook Pro to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.