You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sticking Title and Video FCPX Generators issue

This is a new issue since the latest update and only seems to affect my 3rd party plugins.

When adding a simple lower thirds type text box, for example, I can no longer move the text box around the screen without it moving my entire clip.

Here's a screen recording of the issue in action:

https://youtu.be/5eU-jqPy7r8

I found a quick workaround for this (presumed) bug here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz4AZ6PArt4&lc=UgyYSxqdGGgbjp1B-O14AaABAg.9DS8WmyCNuE9D_BLTpbzkN

But this isn't really workable when adding precisely placed text as you have to place it over an inserted gap elsewhere on the timeline, make a compound clip and then place it on the timeline (if it's isn't right, rinse repeat without ever being able to see where it will actually wind up on your clip. Sorry, I'm sure there is more proper terminology I could be using or explain it better but...).

FCPX text boxes seem not be effected by the bug but I can no longer use any of my overlay plugins if they need to be moved around the screen at all.... It's driving me nuts!

Anybody have any ideas?

I create educational videos and would often have multiple text overlays explaining information, or creating a visual list as I speak. This has severely effected my work-flow...

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 10:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 10:59 AM

Are these third party titles? You should contact the developer for an update.

In the title you showed, there is a drag button in the middle. Do you get the same behavior when you drag the title with that.

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 14, 2020 11:05 AM in response to damian142

Sounds like you need to check with the 3rd party plugin developers to see if they have updates. If not and you really need these plugins, which is sounds like you do, revert back to 10.4.8. Rename the current FCPX 10.4.9 and copy the previous 10.4.8 from your Time Machine backup. You'll also need to open a backup of your working library because 10.4.9 updated it and it won't open in 10.4.8. File->Open Library->From Backup

Sep 14, 2020 11:13 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Actually, I had gotten out of the habit of using the drag buttons because, previously, the would often revert back to default positions on export.

Just tried it and the drag works again! I guess I should have tried that before posting but it was so consistently NOT working before (especially when animating with keyframes), that I had trained myself to never use them.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Back to my original way of doing things from way back. lol

Sep 14, 2020 8:27 PM in response to damian142

Well, first of all, you're using Pixel Studios products... I'll hold my tongue...

I watched your video... watched you place the Background Gradient on the storyline, then you immediately bypassed the onscreen control (OSC) and went to the Effect Transforms controls. That will definitely move ALL the content in the frame!

In your defense, the OSC is a transparent rectangular overlay with small "button" controls on the midpoints and corners of the rectangle shape and you may have missed it — it is rather subtle. The button controls should allow you to reshape the gradient (the corner points may even allow you to rotate the shape) and inner area of the rectangle should allow you to position the gradient over the storyline content.

I don't have that particular title, but I've made a ton of effects using that particular onscreen control. It generally works quite well.

Try your Background Gradient Title again. Click directly on the area that it appears and drag it to where you want it. The position controls in the (Title) Inspector will update as you drag. The numbers in the Inspector are **not** pixels but the decimal factor for the screen dimension (vertically, from -0.5 to +0.5 and horizontally it will depend on the aspect ratio of the project - but generally for 16:9 -0.89 to +0.89 [which = 2 x 0.888888 or 1.7777777777 which is the aspect ratio of 16:9])

The guy that made that other video you reference must have made the same mistake you did because Stupid Raisins has a rather good reputation for excellent effects and I cannot imagine that Mr. Higginbotham made a mistake like that. The apply to a gap trick and make a compound clip is ludicrous! (and a terrible waste of time).

Here's the general rule:

Check the Title Inspector first for Position controls [the capital-T icon at the Left-hand top of the inspector]. These usually control the Title specific content apart from the background video. Even if you don't have an OnScreen Control, you should be able to control the location and other aspects of the title from these parameters.

Use the Effects Transforms (icon looks like a small film strip) for "global" transformations. If you add effects to clips, the added clips will be at the top of the inspector. There is a rather obvious division between user added Effects and the Global video effects controls which will be towards the bottom of the effects list [starting with "Compositing"].

Sep 14, 2020 9:07 PM in response to fox_m

Thanks for the detailed reply. That was exactly how I used to do it but I ran into a frustrating couple of days wherein, upon export (or consolidation), every element and animation that I manipulated that way would reset to it's default positioning.

Cue forum digging and searching... came across the suggestion to do it the way I did it in this quick demonstration, which worked until the update. Now the original way works again for me. Back to my original method.

That said, I'm learning as I go so I VERY likely may be doing something wrong or screwing up some part of the process but, I've made about 100 videos over the past few months and got pretty dialed into my (remedial) process until it would just not work the same way... seemingly all of the sudden, one day.

Again, thanks for the tips! I'm back to manipulating things via OSC. (& for what it's worth). that particular PixelFilm plug works wonderfully (for that one thing)! Not sure about the rest of their products but I make use of the pro list plug quite a bit)

Sticking Title and Video FCPX Generators issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.