You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local Desktop Gone

The only Desktop folder I can find is the iCloud one. What happened to my desktop on my hard drive?

Mojave 10.14.6 on MacBook Air.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 1:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 2:08 PM

If you don't want Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive, then disable it in the iCloud System Preferences.

Once you disable it, you will then need to move your files from iCloud Drive into your Desktop and Documents folders.

Whether you disable it or not, your files are still stored on your Mac. They are not moved to iCloud, they are synchronized to iCloud such that you can access them from anywhere you can log into iCloud.

They aren't even actually moved from your home folder. Finder just makes it look that way.

If you decide to disable, the files still aren't removed from your Mac. It may look like it, but they are not. It's all file system magic.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2020 2:08 PM in response to Carol in Chicago

If you don't want Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive, then disable it in the iCloud System Preferences.

Once you disable it, you will then need to move your files from iCloud Drive into your Desktop and Documents folders.

Whether you disable it or not, your files are still stored on your Mac. They are not moved to iCloud, they are synchronized to iCloud such that you can access them from anywhere you can log into iCloud.

They aren't even actually moved from your home folder. Finder just makes it look that way.

If you decide to disable, the files still aren't removed from your Mac. It may look like it, but they are not. It's all file system magic.

Local Desktop Gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.