You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air won't shut down under any circumstances

My MacBook Air has decided it will NOT shut down regardless of how many different combinations of force quit keys I press. The fan is blowing like crazy. It sounds like it's going to explode. I've tried force quitting and nothing is working. The trackpad is frozen. I can't do anything. When I close the lid the computer remains on and the fan continues to blow. Any ideas? Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 12:40 PM

8 replies

Sep 17, 2020 4:58 AM in response to John Galt

Again, thanks but I've tried all these force quit ideas. It's unresponsive to anything I do. It won't quit, it won't turn off, and the fan's been blasting for about 18 hours while remaining fully charged (but unplugged). I plugged it in briefly to see if it had used any battery and it showed green. Sooooo, that's where I'm at. A completely locked machine that won't quit. It's so loud I had to put it in the laundry room last night with the door closed.

I'm going to plug a USB mouse into it today to see what happens, if anything.

Macbook Air won't shut down under any circumstances

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.