You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open/import an old imovie/iDVD project

I'm trying to open up an old iMovie/iDVD project, but not seeing a way to do it.

I have iMovie 9.0.4 (which says is iMovie 11 in the About section).

I have iDVD 7.1.2

The iMovie/DVD project I saved off a long time ago is in what appears to be 2 Folders:

1) The first is called Robert DVD project

Inside of Robert DVD project is a folder called Contents with PkgInfo and Resources folder inside

2) The second is called Robert's Movie folder

Inside Robert's Movie folder are 4 more folders called:

Audio Waveforms (I see all the music I used in the movie having .snp and .wvf extentions)

Cache

Media (I see the clips of the movie in here)

Shared Movies (which I see 4 Documents with the Title of my movie, one of which has an

extention called title.iMovie2Project)

I can't seem to find any way to open any of these in iMovie or iDVD. I've tried the option in iMovie to IMPORT trying all of the different object options to no avail.

Is there something simple I am missing? Is there a way to open any of this?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

RW

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 7:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 11:36 AM

Hi, XpertDBA,

If you still have the iDVD app on your Mac (perhaps in a backup location) you should be able to open the iDVD project by clicking on the project icon. (assuming that you are not running Catalina). However, if the iDVD project does not have the word Archive in its name, then you may not be able to open it unless the original media in the project is still on your Mac in the same location and bearing the same names as it did when the project was created. This is because an iDVD project does not contain any media, but rather references the original media that is located elsewhere on your Mac. If you archived the project when you saved it then the media would be archived within the project.  

Your iMovie project looks like it is iMovie 5 or 6. Again, if you have the iMovie 5 or 6 app on your Mac you should be able to open the project by clicking on it (unless you are running Catalina). Perhaps you still have the app somewhere in backups.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2020 11:36 AM in response to XpertDBA

Hi, XpertDBA,

If you still have the iDVD app on your Mac (perhaps in a backup location) you should be able to open the iDVD project by clicking on the project icon. (assuming that you are not running Catalina). However, if the iDVD project does not have the word Archive in its name, then you may not be able to open it unless the original media in the project is still on your Mac in the same location and bearing the same names as it did when the project was created. This is because an iDVD project does not contain any media, but rather references the original media that is located elsewhere on your Mac. If you archived the project when you saved it then the media would be archived within the project.  

Your iMovie project looks like it is iMovie 5 or 6. Again, if you have the iMovie 5 or 6 app on your Mac you should be able to open the project by clicking on it (unless you are running Catalina). Perhaps you still have the app somewhere in backups.

-- Rich

How to open/import an old imovie/iDVD project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.