You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clean & declutter mac

Hello,

I have a Macbook Air (Mojava software), and use Malwarebytes app (free version). I have a handful of files on mac, Word/Excel, and they are backed on SD card. I also delete unwanted songs/podcasts/movies/tv episodes from my itunes account frequently, and hardly have any apps i don't use.

When mac is not in use, i turn it off completely, to allow it to cool down properly (as was advised by Apple staff).

I have only 2 apps downloaded, that i use lightly and frequently.

I am open to any suggestions to how to have my Mac as clean/clear as possible, to get the best experience from my Mac, and to prolong it's use for many years to come.

Best wishes and thanks in advance for any tips.

Regards

Robbie

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 7:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 3:52 PM

When mac is not in use, i turn it off completely, to allow it to cool down properly (as was advised by Apple staff).

I have no explanation for that advice. I disagree with it. If you're not actively using a Mac, ignore it. It won't mind. If you're not going to use it for a prolonged period of time, perhaps a couple of weeks, go ahead and turn it off. It has been my experience Macs work best and last longest if you don't constantly turn them off and on again. Ignoring them in that manner is exactly how they're designed to work.

I am open to any suggestions to how to have my Mac as clean/clear as possible, to get the best experience from my Mac, and to prolong it's use for many years to come.

Macs do not need to be pampered. Use them in the same way you would use any other tool. Macs need about as much maintenance as a hammer, and will last about as long.

The only thing that doesn't come with a new Mac is a backup hard disk drive. If you value the information on your Mac, it needs to be backed up somewhere other than on your Mac. Conversely stated, if you do not back up its contents, by definition you don't care about the information on it. Either way is ok as long as you appreciate the implications of not backing up.

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac explains how it works. $60 or so will buy a perfectly adequate 2 TB hard disk drive.

The worst things anyone can do to a Mac also happen to be very popular, as a result of aggressive marketing efforts exploiting an understandable desire to keep a Mac "clean" and / or "safe". As a category, those things are scams. Learn to avoid them, just like any other scam.

Macs are tools. So are hammers. Use them responsibly.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2020 3:52 PM in response to Rabbie101

I have no explanation for that advice. I disagree with it. If you're not actively using a Mac, ignore it. It won't mind. If you're not going to use it for a prolonged period of time, perhaps a couple of weeks, go ahead and turn it off. It has been my experience Macs work best and last longest if you don't constantly turn them off and on again. Ignoring them in that manner is exactly how they're designed to work.

Macs do not need to be pampered. Use them in the same way you would use any other tool. Macs need about as much maintenance as a hammer, and will last about as long.

The only thing that doesn't come with a new Mac is a backup hard disk drive. If you value the information on your Mac, it needs to be backed up somewhere other than on your Mac. Conversely stated, if you do not back up its contents, by definition you don't care about the information on it. Either way is ok as long as you appreciate the implications of not backing up.

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac explains how it works. $60 or so will buy a perfectly adequate 2 TB hard disk drive.

The worst things anyone can do to a Mac also happen to be very popular, as a result of aggressive marketing efforts exploiting an understandable desire to keep a Mac "clean" and / or "safe". As a category, those things are scams. Learn to avoid them, just like any other scam.

Macs are tools. So are hammers. Use them responsibly.

Sep 22, 2020 5:30 AM in response to Rabbie101

you don't need malware byte or any 3rd party mac cleaner,  users seem to complain about the bloatware and inefficiency these programs cause and hide and they will slow down your MacBook in time.

as far as software, I would keep that on the MacBook, they don't take a lot of space and they could expire at a certain time, which happened to my adobe induing and dreamweaver when i tried reinstalling these programs on my MacBook 2010.

regular maintenance like using disk utility's first aid and keeping your MacBook safe will extent the life and ease of your MacBook.

happy computing!

clean & declutter mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.