You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make this Happen if column B has a result column a to be highlighted

How can I make this Happen

if column B has a result other than 0 column a to be highlighted

iMac 27″, 10.12

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 9:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 9:11 PM

Hi Chris,

"if B2 has a value other than 0 I want A2 to equal A1

I dont know how to write this or where to find the " does not equal" symbol

thanks "

Select A2.

Press = to open the Formula editor.

In the editor, type IF(B2<>0,A1,value for A2 if B2=0 or is empty)

Replace the part in italics with the result you expect in A2 under the described circumstnce.

Numbers will replace <> with ≠ when you confirm the formula by clicking the green checkmark.

On the keyboard, option-= is the combination to get ≠, but I don't know if this will be accepted by the formula.

Regards,

Barry

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2020 9:11 PM in response to Chrisdx2

Hi Chris,

"if B2 has a value other than 0 I want A2 to equal A1

thanks "

Select A2.

Press = to open the Formula editor.

In the editor, type IF(B2<>0,A1,value for A2 if B2=0 or is empty)

Replace the part in italics with the result you expect in A2 under the described circumstnce.

Numbers will replace <> with ≠ when you confirm the formula by clicking the green checkmark.

On the keyboard, option-= is the combination to get ≠, but I don't know if this will be accepted by the formula.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 24, 2020 11:39 PM in response to Chrisdx2

"I dont seem to be able to copy and paste this formula ,"

Assuming you have the formula entered in A2, and that you want it to be copied into all cells in column A, here are the steps:

• Enter the formula into A2 as described above.
  • Click the green checkmark to confirm the formula and close the formula editor.
  • With the cell still selected, press command-C to Copy the cell and its contents (the formula).
  • Scroll down until you can see the last cell which is to contain the formula (eg. A51).
  • Shift-click* on the last cell to add it and all cells between it and A2 to the selection.
  • Press command-V to Paste the formula into all selected cells.
  • Click on another cell to de-select all 50 selected cells.

• To shift-click: Press and hold the shift key, then click on the cell.

Regarding Paste and Match Style: This menu command is used to paste the data, but not the style that you copied. Instead, the raw data adopts the style set for each of the cells into which it is pasted.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 22, 2020 1:09 AM in response to Chrisdx2

This is done with Conditional Highlighting Rules.

CH rules apply to a single cell. The rule compares the value in the cell to be highlighted to another value. The other value may be fixed (written into the rule), or may be a value in another cell.

You've not made a clear statement, either in your topic title or in the description in your post, of what you want to happen.

"if column B has a result other than 0 column a to be highlighted"

Do you mean 'If any cell in column B has a non-zero value, highlight all the cells of) column A'?

Or do you mean 'If one or more cells in column B has a non-zero result, highlight the cell in the same row of column A'?

Or do you mean something different than either of those descriptions?

The usual way of doing this is to use a third column of cells whose values will match the value in the same row of column A when the cell in that row of column B contains a non-zero result.

Here are two examples, one with text values in column A, the other with numbers in column A. I've used column D as the 'partner column', but this could be placed anywhere, and could be hidden, as it is not needed by the user.

The CH rule for column A of the table on the right is shown.

The rule for the table on the left is similar: "equal to" D2 green fill.

Select all cells to be highlighted, then build the rule as it applies to the first cell (A2 in each case here).

Column D contains one of these formulas, entered in D2, then filled down to the end of that column:

Left table:    IF(B2≠0,A2,A2−1)

Right table: IF(B2≠0,A2,"xx"&A2)

Regards,

Barry

Sep 22, 2020 4:48 PM in response to Barry

Thanks for that Barry thats close to what I want but I didnt realise that I needed more clarity so here goes

Column B has a zero value until individual cells are assigned a value from another sheet ( alpha numeric or numeric)

so if B2 has a value other than 0 I want A2 to equal A1

thanks

Chris

How can I make this Happen if column B has a result column a to be highlighted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.