You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should I upgrade to a 2020 IMac?

I've been using a 21" IMac since 2012, just lately its got slower and glitchy eg crashes occasionally, is slow to wake up and seems to use a lot of its 8GB memory (especially when I'm photo processsing). I've heard this could be a sign that its on its way out. So I'm wondering if I should upgrade now and what performance improvements I could expect?

My existing IMac has a 2.9Ghz intel core i5 chip and runs High Sierra 10.13.6.

Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 9:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 9:42 AM

It depends on which size imac you get. If you buy another 21.5" get it with the largest SSD you can afford and a minimum of 16GB of RAM, if you get one of these it will be a dramatic improvement in speed assuming your current computer specs are the typical 8GB of RAM, 1TB HD or Fusion drive.

If you get a 27", anything you get will be dramatic improvement. Again, get the largest SSD you can afford and buy it with only the standard 8 GB of RAM. While you are waiting for it to arrive, order 32 GB or RAM from either Crucial.com or Macsales.com. With that configuration, again it will be a huge upgrade.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2020 9:42 AM in response to Richard1955

It depends on which size imac you get. If you buy another 21.5" get it with the largest SSD you can afford and a minimum of 16GB of RAM, if you get one of these it will be a dramatic improvement in speed assuming your current computer specs are the typical 8GB of RAM, 1TB HD or Fusion drive.

If you get a 27", anything you get will be dramatic improvement. Again, get the largest SSD you can afford and buy it with only the standard 8 GB of RAM. While you are waiting for it to arrive, order 32 GB or RAM from either Crucial.com or Macsales.com. With that configuration, again it will be a huge upgrade.

should I upgrade to a 2020 IMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.