You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I de-interlace a movie?

I remember De-interlacing as a choice on export and I can't find it...

Interlace and de-interlace search have no results in iMovie help

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 10:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 10:58 AM

The de-interlace feature was removed from iMovie 10.

I'm not sure whether iMovie 10 de-interlaces by default, as I haven't used interlaced footage in iMovie 10. You could try it with an interlaced clip to see.

After capture, but before editing, you can use JES Deinterlacer or Handbrake to de-interlace the footage. Then import the de-interlaced footage into iMovie. Here's a screen shot of Handbrake's settings screen:

Info about JES Deinterlacer here: (I'm not personally familiar with the website.)

https://download.cnet.com/JES-Deinterlacer/3000-2194_4-21001.html

-- Rich

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2020 10:58 AM in response to BillGladstone

The de-interlace feature was removed from iMovie 10.

I'm not sure whether iMovie 10 de-interlaces by default, as I haven't used interlaced footage in iMovie 10. You could try it with an interlaced clip to see.

After capture, but before editing, you can use JES Deinterlacer or Handbrake to de-interlace the footage. Then import the de-interlaced footage into iMovie. Here's a screen shot of Handbrake's settings screen:

Info about JES Deinterlacer here: (I'm not personally familiar with the website.)

https://download.cnet.com/JES-Deinterlacer/3000-2194_4-21001.html

-- Rich

Sep 22, 2020 1:03 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

iMovie 10.1.15 does not de-interlace be default, at least as far as I can tell. I tried sharing/ exporting an interlaced video. File export was 1080p but still viewed as 1080i - on a pause during a pan there are two images. In earlier versions de-interlacing was a check box during export. Guess there just are enough users still messing with interlaced video. Will try Handbrake...

Sep 23, 2020 2:08 AM in response to BillGladstone

Good that you got it solved.

I cannot replicate what you are experiencing.

Using a 1080i clip with iMovie 10.1.4 on El Capitan ( could run 10.1.6 but don't use it enough to worry ) I cannot get, from the project, an interlaced video out of share, either in H264 or ProRes.

The only way I can get interlaced out is if I share a clip from the Event, by clicking on that clip in the Event and File> Share .

However the latter is quite a useless exercise as you would not normally share an original media clip from the event.

Looks as though 10.1.15 behaves differently.

Sep 25, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Rich839

Rich

Yes , that is correct.

The above that I described was for a clip that was captured from HDV tape into iMovie ver 9.

You may know that when HDV tape is captured in iMovie ver 9 it is converted to Apple Intermediate Codec, AIC for short.

I used an AIC clip, 1080i, from such a capture and imported it into iMovie 10.1.4. It remains as interlaced when imported into imovie 10.1.4 but becomes de-interlaced on share.

I took the same tape and captured the same section into iMovie 10.1.4 . iMovie 10 captures HDV in it's native format which is MPEG 2, basically a copy of what is on the tape. This 1080i clip, captures as 1080i but shares as de-interlaced.

So in either case, for me at least, the interlacing is preserved on import but not on share/export.

New version of iMovie available....10.1.16 and Catalina....10.15.7 so maybe a lot of recent problems will be solved ?????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.