You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing folders

My iMac is running Catalina 10.15.6. Now my personal background photo does not show and neither do my folders. How do I get them back?

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 3:04 PM

If you're getting the photos from your Photos library make sure it's designated the System Photo Library.

Log into another user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2020 3:04 PM in response to RivieraTowers

If you're getting the photos from your Photos library make sure it's designated the System Photo Library.

Log into another user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Missing folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.