You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Same Hardware Different Price

I'm in the market for a new Macbook. I probably won't be buying either brand new, but after playing around with the options, I noticed that upgrading the 16-inch Macbook Pro with different options can lead to the same outcome with different prices:

Here are the steps:

On the buy new page, click through to the 2.6GHz 6-core option, upgrade to the 2.4 GHz, 8-core option for $300, then upgrade to the 1TB SSD option for $200.

You will end up with a computer that costs $2,899.

On the buy new page, click through to the 2.3GHz 8-core option, upgrade to the 2.4 GHz, 8-core option for $200. Total is $2,999. RAM, graphics, and SSD space are the same (if you upgraded to 1TB in the previous example).

I know that someone who picked the 2.3GHz 8-core option is unlikely to upgrade to the 2.4 GHz 8-core option for an additional $200, but it begs the question: are there more differences between these computers? RAM and graphics are the same, but maybe there is something unseen?

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 4:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 5:37 AM

c.ostmo wrote:
RAM and graphics are the same, but maybe there is something unseen?

Graphics are not the same, if, in the first option, you select the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory, it will cost you another $100, making your total $2999 or equivalent to the second option.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2020 5:37 AM in response to c.ostmo

c.ostmo wrote:
RAM and graphics are the same, but maybe there is something unseen?

Graphics are not the same, if, in the first option, you select the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory, it will cost you another $100, making your total $2999 or equivalent to the second option.

Same Hardware Different Price

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.