You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mac OS X (pro 2010)

Hello everyone,

I'm working with a 2010 Macbook Pro A1286. I have installed a fresh SSD, and new RAM. I cannot get it to install MAC OS X Lion.

After going through internet recovery, I formatted the SSD for Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then I went to install mac os x lion and it says its going to take -2billion hours, then it stops and says "can't download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X."

Now, Here is what I've tried

• Ensuring the computer is connected to ethernet and plugged into the charger
  • Downloaded an OSX Lion .DMG to a flash drive and attempted to boot via the USB by holding the option key. When doing this, the only option it gives me is internet recovery.
  • I tried resetting the PRAM
  • I tried using just 1 ram stick
  • I tried both single ram sticks
  • I tried the old RAM in the same configuration
  • I tried adjusting the date and time via terminal
  • I have tried using two USB's. One contains OS X lion, and the other is blank. I booted into disk utilities and created an image onto the blank USB. After restarting, it was still not detected as a bootable USB. Only internet recovery available.

I am out of options, if anybody can help me out, I would very much appreciate it!

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 8:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 8:48 PM

Your model came originally with Snow Leopard pre-installed from the factory. If you have a bootable Lion USB flash drive installer, then put it into a USB port.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Immediately, at or before the chime, press and hold down the "OPTION" key.
  3. Release the key when the Boot Manager screen appears.
  4. Select the disk icon for the USB flash drive.
  5. Click on the Arrow button under the disk icon.
  6. Wait for the computer to complete startup when you see the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  8. After Disk Utility loads select the new SSD from the sidebar list.
  9. Click on the Partition button in Disk Utility's toolbar. 
  10. Set the number of partitions to one (1) from the Partition Layout drop-down menu.
  11. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  12. Click on the Apply/Erase button.
  13. Quit Disk Utility after the process is completed and return to the Utility Menu.
  14. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Follow the instructions to finish the OS installation. Upon completion the computer should boot, automatically, from the SSD.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2020 8:48 PM in response to timlyons745

Your model came originally with Snow Leopard pre-installed from the factory. If you have a bootable Lion USB flash drive installer, then put it into a USB port.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Immediately, at or before the chime, press and hold down the "OPTION" key.
  3. Release the key when the Boot Manager screen appears.
  4. Select the disk icon for the USB flash drive.
  5. Click on the Arrow button under the disk icon.
  6. Wait for the computer to complete startup when you see the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  8. After Disk Utility loads select the new SSD from the sidebar list.
  9. Click on the Partition button in Disk Utility's toolbar. 
  10. Set the number of partitions to one (1) from the Partition Layout drop-down menu.
  11. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  12. Click on the Apply/Erase button.
  13. Quit Disk Utility after the process is completed and return to the Utility Menu.
  14. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Follow the instructions to finish the OS installation. Upon completion the computer should boot, automatically, from the SSD.

Installing Mac OS X (pro 2010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.