You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

want to delete user home folder

I'm taking over a MacBook Pro 2009 and want to delete a user.

The user was an admin and I succesfully changed that to Standard.

I'm not sure when I want to delete that users home folder.

I first tried to have that users home folder put as a disk image into Deleted Users. That didn't work, even after I changed permissions.

What happends if I do this?

• Leave the user’s home folder as is: Select “Don’t change the home folder.” The user’s documents and information remain and the user can be restored later if needed. The home folder remains in /Users/.

Will I then be able to use Finder to move the home folder into Deleted Users or delete the user home folder if I chose to?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 10:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 11:49 AM

See the following:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

Follow the instructions as they will tell you how to make the switch from the old owner to yourself. Deleting a user account is not the way it should be done.

You should not have reduced the other owner's account to a Standard unless you already created an Admin account of your own, first. Fortunately, that won't matter.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2020 11:49 AM in response to Bruce L.

See the following:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

Follow the instructions as they will tell you how to make the switch from the old owner to yourself. Deleting a user account is not the way it should be done.

You should not have reduced the other owner's account to a Standard unless you already created an Admin account of your own, first. Fortunately, that won't matter.

want to delete user home folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.