You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I erased everything on my Mac now I’m trying to install OS X El Capitan I’m not able to how can I get it back please help

I need help re installing OS X El Capitan I bought used iMac deleted everything now I’m trying to install and it will take 2 hrs then it will bring a message can’t be installed contact your hardware manufacturer

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 1:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 7:27 PM

It may indicate the hard drive is failing.

Depending on the exact model of iMac and the OS you are installing will determine the options available for you.

You can either use the original Apple OSX installer DVD or perhaps a later retail copy of OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. If you have access to another Mac compatible with El Capitan, then you can create a bootable macOS USB installer using these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If you provide us with the exact model we can confirm which options are available for that specific iMac. You can get the exact model by entering the serial number here or here.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2020 7:27 PM in response to Tdogg011

It may indicate the hard drive is failing.

Depending on the exact model of iMac and the OS you are installing will determine the options available for you.

You can either use the original Apple OSX installer DVD or perhaps a later retail copy of OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. If you have access to another Mac compatible with El Capitan, then you can create a bootable macOS USB installer using these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If you provide us with the exact model we can confirm which options are available for that specific iMac. You can get the exact model by entering the serial number here or here.

I erased everything on my Mac now I’m trying to install OS X El Capitan I’m not able to how can I get it back please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.