You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernal Panic on iMac During Sleep

See error log below. Can anyone help with this?

2017 iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch

macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7

Issue started a couple of months ago. At that time it was crashing during operation and sleep. I reinstalled macOS to no avail. Called support and they recommended I take it to the nearest service center for possible hardware issue. Best Buy found no issues with the hardware and reinstalled macOS. Now it crashes only while sleeping. Recent trouble shooting led me to do the following:

-Unchecked all boxes in Energy Saver

-Used Disk Utility to perform First Aid on hard drive

-Performed RAM check through Apple Diagnostics

The only Apps that I installed after reinstalling macOS are:

-Firefox

-Dropbox

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 9:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 9:43 AM

Kernel panics are caused predominately by hardware faults and third-party kernel extensions.

You don't have any third-party kernel extensions, so the cause is most likely hardware. There are a few other rare conditions that might generate a KP, but the only one I can remember is NVRAM. So, you can try an NVRAM reset, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The panic may have something to do with WiFi, but that isn't in any way conclusive. Do you connect via WiFi or Ethernet cable? If a cable, are you using an USB Ethernet adaptor?

Did you get referred to Best Buy from the Apple Support site, listing them as an Authorized Repair center?

You might take a copy of the panic log to the repair center and see if they can run specific tests that may not have been run the first time.

-Firefox
-Dropbox

Apps, in and of themselves, do not cause kernel panics. If the app installs a kernel extension, then that might be a possibility, but as I stated, you don't have any loaded in the panic log.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 30, 2020 9:43 AM in response to gbello888

Kernel panics are caused predominately by hardware faults and third-party kernel extensions.

You don't have any third-party kernel extensions, so the cause is most likely hardware. There are a few other rare conditions that might generate a KP, but the only one I can remember is NVRAM. So, you can try an NVRAM reset, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The panic may have something to do with WiFi, but that isn't in any way conclusive. Do you connect via WiFi or Ethernet cable? If a cable, are you using an USB Ethernet adaptor?

Did you get referred to Best Buy from the Apple Support site, listing them as an Authorized Repair center?

You might take a copy of the panic log to the repair center and see if they can run specific tests that may not have been run the first time.

-Firefox
-Dropbox

Apps, in and of themselves, do not cause kernel panics. If the app installs a kernel extension, then that might be a possibility, but as I stated, you don't have any loaded in the panic log.

Sep 30, 2020 11:20 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for the reply!

There are a few other rare conditions that might generate a KP, but the only one I can remember is NVRAM. So, you can try an NVRAM reset, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I will give this a shot.

I am connected with WiFi.

Yes, I was referred to Best Buy since my local Apple store was closed due to COVID-19 and the nearest open Apple store was over 3 hours away. If I cannot resolve the issue on my own I will take it to the Apple store when it reopens. I wasn't particularily happy with the service from Best Buy.

Sep 30, 2020 12:25 PM in response to gbello888

I would never trust Best Buy with much of anything. I was just trying to confirm that they are an Authorized Repair Center. If they are not, and you were just referred there because it is the next best thing, then they probably won't be able to conduct the necessary tests to find obscure hardware faults that would cause a kernel panic.

They may have just run Apple Diagnostics like you did. It won't find much.

Kernal Panic on iMac During Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.