You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my sony handycam DCR-HC36 import to imovie?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 10:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 1:16 PM

Hi,

Your camcorder is not specifically mentioned in iMovie for macOS supported cameras - Apple Support, but according to the information at the end of the article, "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices."

Check that you have the necessary cables/adapter(s) for a connection to the camcorder's DV/FireWire/i.LINK/IEEE 1394 port.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-hc36/articles/00029443

There have been some reports about difficulties with imports from tape-based camcorders using the latest iMovie versions, so you may have to be prepared to carry out experiments. If you have access to an older Mac, with a FireWire port and an earlier iMovie version, it may be worth testing that computer as well.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2020 1:16 PM in response to ltg6

Hi,

Your camcorder is not specifically mentioned in iMovie for macOS supported cameras - Apple Support, but according to the information at the end of the article, "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices."

Check that you have the necessary cables/adapter(s) for a connection to the camcorder's DV/FireWire/i.LINK/IEEE 1394 port.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-hc36/articles/00029443

There have been some reports about difficulties with imports from tape-based camcorders using the latest iMovie versions, so you may have to be prepared to carry out experiments. If you have access to an older Mac, with a FireWire port and an earlier iMovie version, it may be worth testing that computer as well.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.