You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Increase the RAM

i want to increase my iMac RAM (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) Serial Number: C0***WDW

Present 8GB Ram want to increse to 32GB

is it possible???

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 1:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 4:50 AM

Only certain models of the 21.5 iMac can be upgraded and then only by a Technician (or at least someone that knows what he is doing) it is not a user upgrade and from what I have heard can be very expensive. Here is a link that you can use to see if yours can be upgraded Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

The biggest question that you can ask is it worth it? Even tho it is only a year old depending on the price and model it might be worth in getting a 27 inch with a basic 8 Gig installed and by Ram from another source and do it yourself.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2020 4:50 AM in response to it107

Only certain models of the 21.5 iMac can be upgraded and then only by a Technician (or at least someone that knows what he is doing) it is not a user upgrade and from what I have heard can be very expensive. Here is a link that you can use to see if yours can be upgraded Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

The biggest question that you can ask is it worth it? Even tho it is only a year old depending on the price and model it might be worth in getting a 27 inch with a basic 8 Gig installed and by Ram from another source and do it yourself.

Oct 3, 2020 9:24 AM in response to it107

Welcome!

To add to TJisret's comment about "expensive," I asked a local service shop (US Inland Northwest region) what he charges to do RAM upgrades for a sealed 21.5-inch iMac and he said they have to charge a minimum of two hours labor at US$75/hour to perform the upgrade.That is another $150 on top of the cost of RAM and reseal kit. Plus, if you are doing this because your computer feels "slow," there is a strong chance that would be a waste of money.

If your want 32GB RAM because you computer is:

• slow to boot, and
    • slow to open apps,

that is likely not a RAM issue but rather the slow mechanical hard drives Apple installed in 21.5-inch Macs from 2012 through 2019. On performance tests they score SLOWER that the mech hard drives Apple installed in entry-level 2011 21.5-iMacs. Even the Fusion drives (hybrid) are not all that fast

So if you can tell us why you would like to increase RAM, this conversation might take a different solution path.

For real speed and flexibility you need a 27-inch iMac so the RAM is user upgradeable—as Roger wisely points out—and the biggest factory solid-state drive you can afford. The later is what make an an iMac speed demon. The 1TB factory SSD in my 2017 iMac 5K posts read/write speeds over 20X faster than our 2011 iMac with a factory mech drive.

Increase the RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.