You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule

Dear Folks,

I have a 2012 make Time Capsule which I was using both as a router and as a back-up device for my iMac and MacBook Pro. Of late, specifically post the macOS version 10.15.5 was pushed, I have been observing that backups are not happening. Even when I force a back-up, it takes hours to verify back-up, it seems to back-up but the process does not complete. This is happening on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. Please advice a way out of this mess.

With best regards,

Sanjiv Chaudhary (India)

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 6:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 10:30 AM

Apple has updated Catalina 10.15.5 to 10.15.6 and 10.15.7, so you would want to apply those updates as soon as possible to your Macs.

After the Macs have been updated, power off the Time Capsule and leave it off for a few minutes, then power it back up.

On the iMac.......

Hold down the option key on your iMac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Select Verify Backups

The process might take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more depending on how much data is stored in the backup on the Time Capsule

Let the process run until it completes, or until you see an error message appear

If an error message appears, post back with the exact text of the message

Perform the same process on your MacBook Pro and post back on your results

On a separate note, the 2012 Time Capsule is now 8+ years old, which is past the normal useful life of the product, so you would not want to store any data on the Time Capsule that you cannot afford to lose, unless you have another backup on another hard drive.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 5, 2020 10:30 AM in response to sanjivfrommumbai

Apple has updated Catalina 10.15.5 to 10.15.6 and 10.15.7, so you would want to apply those updates as soon as possible to your Macs.

After the Macs have been updated, power off the Time Capsule and leave it off for a few minutes, then power it back up.

On the iMac.......

Hold down the option key on your iMac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Select Verify Backups

The process might take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more depending on how much data is stored in the backup on the Time Capsule

Let the process run until it completes, or until you see an error message appear

If an error message appears, post back with the exact text of the message

Perform the same process on your MacBook Pro and post back on your results

On a separate note, the 2012 Time Capsule is now 8+ years old, which is past the normal useful life of the product, so you would not want to store any data on the Time Capsule that you cannot afford to lose, unless you have another backup on another hard drive.

Oct 19, 2020 5:32 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob.

Foremost, accept my apologies for getting back to you after a fairly long time. Secondly, I need to express my gratitude to you for having given me a plausible solution to the problem I was having with my Time Capsule. While all my Macs (iMac & MacBook Pro) were updated on OS, the problem was still there.

Your suggested method appeared to work on the Pro but not on the iMac. In fact, I had just purchased another MacBook Pro and decided to back it up on the Time Capsule, and it did on the first attempt itself.

On your advice of the Time Capsule having outlived its good life, you are absolutely correct and taking cues from your advice, I now have started backing up data on a separate External HDD as well.

Once again Bob, many thanks for your advice and reaching out to me.

Cheers

Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.