You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organising photos and transferring them to a MacBook Pro

I want to delete some photos from my iMac and transfer some to my new MacBook Pro. They are presently in a jumbled mess on the iMac. Is there an easy way of doing this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 7:34 AM

10 replies

Oct 7, 2020 9:34 AM in response to maureenfs

First let's try to minimize the problem on the iMac:

Have you run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your iMac?

Are you still running iPhoto on your iMac? If you are do the following;

1 - launch iPhoto with the Option+Command keys held down

and Repair Permissions.

2 - repeat #1 but this time Rebuild Database.

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Oct 9, 2020 6:50 AM in response to maureenfs

One thing I did forget to say. You should also create a smart album with the search criteria 'Photos is referenced'. Hopefully the album will be blank as this will mean that all of your photos are actually contained in the Photos library. If there are photos in the album however, it means they are being stored outside of the library so you should locate them and reimport them.

Once you have tidied everything up, if not before, don't forget BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!

Oct 7, 2020 7:45 AM in response to maureenfs

It all depends quite how jumbled they are!!

When you say they are in a mess, are they currently stored within the Photos app but not sorted within albums? Or are they in multiple folders within the Pictures folder or in multiple folders across your entire hard disk or are they scattered within multiple emails.

For the photos you want to delete, is it because they are duplicates, or poor resolution or taken within a certain date range?

Depending on exactly what you are trying to do, will determine which tool/ approach is going to help you.

Oct 7, 2020 8:58 AM in response to Russ New Boy

Thank you so much for replying. My photos are saved within the Photo app but in multiple albums and folders as I had previously been confused about the difference between the two. Many of them are duplicates or poor resolution so they need to be deleted. Some are scans of very old photos which I want to save for posterity on an external hard drive. My iMac is obsolete and running very slowly so I have bought a new macBook Pro. I don't want to transfer the mess over onto it so have spent the last few days deleting unwanted photos. I'm just not sure how to undertake this mammoth task. Should I try to organise everything first before I transfer it, or try to create a proper filing system on the MacBook and copy the photos into it? (I am almost 72 years old so not as confident with technology as I used to be).

Oct 7, 2020 9:17 AM in response to maureenfs

You are welcome - don't worry, between myself and other more knowledgeable people on this forum we will give you plenty of help.

The first thing to do is to go into the menubar at the top of Photos and under the Photos drop down, select Preferences. Under the General tab, make sure that the importing line is ticked. This will make sure that the photos shown in the library have actually had the underlying file copied into the Photos application package - otherwise Photos will just reference the file.

It doesn't really matter if you tidy things up in your old Mac and then copy the library across to the new Mac or copy the 'messy' library and tidy up in your new Mac. If your current Mac is very slow you might find it quicker to copy the library across and use the power of your new Mac to help speed up the tidying up process.

Just as a guide, how many photos do you have in your library?

Like any mammoth task, its best to take things one step at a time.

The concept of albums is a bit confusing and is different to how things were handed in iPhotos. Basically a single photo can appear in multiple albums so it may make sense to create some new albums based on the year the photo was taken. This is how I have my photos organised. You should then be able to make easier decisions on which photos to keep and which to delete. I'll send some more information and some useful links shortly.

Oct 7, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Russ New Boy

I think Russ's idea of transferring to the new mac and organising there is a good one.

Some other things to think about. Do you really need to sort them out. If you get rid of all the folders/albums, photos can still display the photos by year/month/day in the all photos view. For my older images, I don't have any more organisation than that. Bear in mind also that photos has a lot of automation to help you find images - such as face recognition, automatic folders for panoramas, selfies etc.

Something else you can use is the smart albums. I too have a lot of old scanned photos. I've used a smart album to help me identify them. I've used the search "Camera model is empty" - because scans have not been taken with a camera, there is no camera model. It does also find screen shots, so it is only a starting point, but narrows things down a lot. There are many other ways you can use smart albums to search for particular images.

Also worth considering using keywords in your images rather than organising with folders and albums. Why?

Well lets say I tag all my old family scans with the keyword OldFamilyScan - I can then find them using the keyword rather than an album. OK - not much different than using album called "OldFamilyScan"

The power really comes though when you use multiple keywords. So lets say I add the keyword NT for all photos taken at a national trust property. But also add they keyword of the place - say BiddulphGrange or DunhamMassey or TattonPark

So at some time in the future, I can search for all photos taken at a national trust place - or those taken at just some of the properties, or just one.Now lets say I tag photos taken on holiday with the word Holiday. Now if at some point in the future I say "now what was that NT place we went to on holiday last year" I can set up a smart album looking for NT, Holiday and Date last year.

They can also be combined with face recognition - so I want to find photos at Biddulph Grange with Dad in them - can do it.

Oct 7, 2020 11:27 AM in response to TonyCollinet

So, depending on what you are ultimately looking to achieve, there are a couple of things you can do, you can tidy up your existing folder/album structure by renaming them and organising them and adding additional albums as needed. Folders are used to hold albums and albums are used to hold photos. So you can set up a structure depending on what makes sense to you.

However, I sense that what you need to do initially is clean up your entire library so you have a set of photos you want to keep.

Therefore, as Tony suggested, your best friend here is a series of Smart Albums, these are essentially search filters. You create them by going to menubar/file/create smart album. Photos will then filter your entire collection based on whatever search criteria you select.

I would then create a separate album for each year or month depending on how many photos you have - this will also help to identify any duplicates. For my library I have 4 smart albums for each year (Jan-March, etc). Once you have created these you'll need to systematically review each one, deleting unwanted photos, duplicates, etc. Once you have reviewed every smart album, you'll know that you have reviewed your entire library.

If you have the time and patience, Tony's suggestion of adding keywords is a good as it helps you to find photos later on.

This may be sufficient for your needs or you may then create additional new albums to cover a specific event like a birthday, holiday, etc. I create albums for each important event and then store them in folders by years.

Good luck!

Oct 9, 2020 6:35 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your reply. I have actually used Etrecheck previously, and spoken to experts who informed me that my Mac is now obsolete. I can't even upgrade the operating system as it is so old. I have bought the MacBook Pro and look forward to using it. I just want to tidy up my photos rather that transferring the mess onto there, as I know that it will probably remain as a mess forever if I do.

Oct 10, 2020 3:24 AM in response to Russ New Boy

Thank you so much for all of your help. By combining your ideas and those of Tony I now know exactly how to tackle the problem. I had already been creating albums of events such as cruise destinations but lots of photos didn't seem to fall into any category and some fell into more than one. I have begun using smart albums, one for each year. It will be much easier to look at it a year at a time rather than trying so sort out more than 10,000 photos in one go. I am hoping to now transfer everything to my new iMac and continue the task from there.

Oct 10, 2020 3:25 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you so much for all of your help. By combining your ideas and those of Russ I now know exactly how to tackle the problem. I had already been creating albums of events such as cruise destinations but lots of photos didn't seem to fall into any category and some fell into more than one. I have begun using smart albums, one for each year. It will be much easier to look at it a year at a time rather than trying so sort out more than 10,000 photos in one go. I am hoping to now transfer everything to my new iMac and continue the task from there.

Organising photos and transferring them to a MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.