You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family sharing and storage

I am in a family sharing plan and need more storage space. If I want to buy an additional 200gb on my own do I have to leave the family plan completely (music etc.) or can I get the storage on my own and stay on the plan with the rest of the family?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 1:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 1:55 PM

You can't have 2 storage plans at the same time on the same ID. But you are free to choose whether you use the Family Shared iCloud storage plan or your own and still remain part of Family Sharing. At any time, you can stop using the shared iCloud storage and switch to your own.

Its just that while in Family Sharing the Organizer will still be charged for it unless there is gift card credit balance in your account.

From: Share an iCloud storage plan with your family - Apple Support

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud storage plan,

they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still

remain part of the family.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 7, 2020 1:55 PM in response to zinacef

You can't have 2 storage plans at the same time on the same ID. But you are free to choose whether you use the Family Shared iCloud storage plan or your own and still remain part of Family Sharing. At any time, you can stop using the shared iCloud storage and switch to your own.

Its just that while in Family Sharing the Organizer will still be charged for it unless there is gift card credit balance in your account.

Oct 8, 2020 10:48 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

That's what I figured. Original post had some ambiguity to it so I misread.

Oct 7, 2020 1:39 PM in response to chadhewett

No, that is not correct. There is no requirement to leave family share to purchase more iCloud storage.

You can buy the extra storage without leaving the Family Plan, however, unless you have enough gift card credit balance on your account to cover the monthly charge, it will be charged directly to the Family Organizer.

Also note, that the storage you can buy, is iCloud storage and will not affect your devices physical onboard capacity.

family sharing and storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.