You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending messages to androids

Hi I was wondering how to make it so that my iPad can text androids. I have been searching for quite awhile so I hope you can help me

iPad (6th gen) WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 3:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 3:54 PM

Do you also have an iPhone?

If yes, use Continuity, read here => How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

FYI, SMS piggyback on the voice line, which iPad do not have (iPad is not a phone).

The only way to send SMS is via an associated iPhone.

3 replies

Oct 8, 2020 3:55 PM in response to Clemintinecitrice

As long as you own an iPhone, you can use Continuity Services to send text messages by using Text Message Forwarding. If you do not own iPhone, you cannot text with anyone other than other iOS based users via iMessage.

See this link about Continuity Services and click on Text Message Forwarding --> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Oct 8, 2020 4:35 PM in response to Clemintinecitrice

If you don’t have an iPhone to pair with the iPad, you and your Android contacts will have to use a common internet messaging service, like Google Hangouts, Skype, WhatsApp (WhatsApp requires a cellular telephone to make an account, but with an account, an iPad can use WhatsApp Web) or some such cross platform internet messaging service.

Sending messages to androids

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.