You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to sync my iPhone with my iMac using USB

This problem has gradually got worse over the last year. I have a late 2013 iMac with OS 10.15.7 and an iPhone 8 with iOS 14.0.1. I have always updated using the USB ports, however the connection has become intermittent and now back-up/syncing does not take place. I have tried all the four USB ports with two USB cables (I believe the cables are authentic Apple products). For a while I was able to sync by restarting the iMac with the phone attached by USB, unfortunately this no longer works.  Disconnecting and reconnecting the phone makes no difference. I have read that you can sync using WiFi but that requires clicking that option in the iPhone window on Finder which I now cannot open.  Images attached. 

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 3:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 9, 2020 8:29 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hello SravanKrA,

The link 'Use genuine cable' solved my problem, thank-you. I checked the two cables against the list of differences between Apple branded and counterfeit USB cables. The cables looked authentic apart from no writing on the cables themselves, and one didn't have a white cover on the Apple boot end where the metal part joins the plastic casing. I wondered if the cable text had rubbed off and this white cover may have fallen off as I have had both cables for a couple for 2 or 3 years - which is a consideration regarding their connectivity. I then tried another USB cable, which I thought was faulty and kept for emergencies. The my surprise it worked! I have now selected 'Show this phone when on WiFi' in the iPhone Finder window so I have that option too now :)

Unable to sync my iPhone with my iMac using USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.