You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I swap Rams between old and new iMac?

Hi all

I've just got a new 27 inch iMac for work.

In my urgent quest for more SSD , I missed the new machine has less Ram! Already all set up and got it from John Lewis so can't return easily like to Apple store. I will be keeping the old iMac for personal and it won't need the same power as my work machine.

Old machine is late 2013.

"Your Mac contains 4 memory slots, each of which accepts a 1600 MH DDR3 memory module. 2 memory slots in use, 2 available" (these are 8GB X 2)

New machine is 2020.

"Your Mac contains 4 memory slots, each of which accepts a 2667 MH DDR4 memory module. 2 memory slots in use, 2 available" (these are 4GB X 2)

Can I just swap the Rams between the machines?

Thanks!

Daisy

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 6:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 6:43 AM

No. You cannot swap RAM between a 7 year old iMac and a 2020 model. You need the 2667 Mhz DDR4 RAM modules, and if you need more RAM, I recommend either Crucial, or RAM from Otherworld Computing (OWC). I exclusively use the latter.

Similar questions

8 replies

Can I swap Rams between old and new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.