You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Early 2011 OS X won't install

I have just wiped the hard drive of my old Macbook Pro 2011 in order to prepare it for selling.

I would like to re-install an operating system, but when I try I get the following message from OS X Installer on my screen:

"OS X could not install on your computer.

No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

I feel I'm in a catch 22 as I can't go on the internet to look for an OS that works because I don-t have an OS. So I am stuck. Is there any way to resolve this issue?

(I do have a new Mac now so that might help?)

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 4:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 4:46 PM

chekhov15 Said:

"Macbook Pro Early 2011 OS X won't install: I have just wiped the hard drive of my old Macbook Pro 2011 in order to prepare it for selling."

-------

Use High Sierra:

You Erased the hard drive, correct? To reinstall, use Recovery Mode, or use a USB Bootable Installer. macOS 10.13 High Sierra is the on version of the three you can use. Create the USB Bootable Installer on another Mac, through Terminal.

Go Here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2020 4:46 PM in response to chekhov15

chekhov15 Said:

"Macbook Pro Early 2011 OS X won't install: I have just wiped the hard drive of my old Macbook Pro 2011 in order to prepare it for selling."

-------

Use High Sierra:

You Erased the hard drive, correct? To reinstall, use Recovery Mode, or use a USB Bootable Installer. macOS 10.13 High Sierra is the on version of the three you can use. Create the USB Bootable Installer on another Mac, through Terminal.

Go Here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 12, 2020 1:50 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your reply! I tried to reinstall High Sierra using recovery mode. The process seemed to almost complete before I saw the following message:

"macOS could not be installed on your computer.

The operation could not be completed. (com.apple.osinstall error -3.)

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

Puzzling...

Macbook Pro Early 2011 OS X won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.