You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download a MacOS Install Image for Catalina, using High Sierra?

I need an image for Catalina so I can RE install it on a iMac that has gone crazy after automated install of Catalina. The iMac I have to do this with is running High Sierra and App Store won't let me download Catalina. What can I do?

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 3:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 4:07 PM

If it is a 2011 or earlier iMac, then you cannot download the Catalina installer since a 2011 or earlier Mac cannot run Catalina (very frustrating Apple restriction).

If your iMac with the difficulties is running macOS 10.13+, then boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R which will bypass the local recovery partition when using Command + R.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2020 4:07 PM in response to Wry-Coder

If it is a 2011 or earlier iMac, then you cannot download the Catalina installer since a 2011 or earlier Mac cannot run Catalina (very frustrating Apple restriction).

If your iMac with the difficulties is running macOS 10.13+, then boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R which will bypass the local recovery partition when using Command + R.

How to download a MacOS Install Image for Catalina, using High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.