You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud 2-Step Login uses defunct email. I can

Hello. The two step login stops me from logging into iCloud.

My iCloud account uses an old email address which no longer works.

I want to login to my iCloud account to change the email to my current one, but I can't get in as it sends a code to the old address which I can't access. I get the first verification code ok.

Can anyone help please?

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 2:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 4:41 AM

I telephoned Apple support and the guy was really helpful. After some trial and error (on my part), it transpires that the Apple ID simply won't let me change it while I have an iCloud email. To resolve the issue I created a Gmail account and changed my Apple id to that.

Problem solved. I still use my iCloud email address but I login to iCloud using the Gmail address.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2020 4:41 AM in response to doverrog

I telephoned Apple support and the guy was really helpful. After some trial and error (on my part), it transpires that the Apple ID simply won't let me change it while I have an iCloud email. To resolve the issue I created a Gmail account and changed my Apple id to that.

Problem solved. I still use my iCloud email address but I login to iCloud using the Gmail address.

Oct 12, 2020 3:26 AM in response to doverrog

I've checked my iCloud account via System Preferences and although my Apple ID includes the defunct email, I have my current email as the primary contact. However the two-factor login insists on using the defunct email from my Apple ID for verification so I don't receive the second code.

I can't access my account to make any changes and I can't change anything, such as tuning off the two factor verification in the account setting on my iMac. I'm using High Sierra v 10.13.6

I don't want to set up a new Apple account, but is that the only way?

iCloud 2-Step Login uses defunct email. I can

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.