You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie won't let me drag a photo into my project? Why not?

I've tried dragging a photo from the desk top, and also import media from the drop down File menu. Help!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 12:01 PM

6 replies

Oct 16, 2020 5:05 PM in response to MatthewMaury

Hi Matthew -

I've been noticing some strange behavior in iMovie that seems to have come with a recent update, and I'll bet you're running into the same issues.

First of all, try this and see if it circumvents your issue: rename the file, like a name using today's date, and then try importing it. I'll bet you $1 it works.

I think iMovie is trying to reduce/eliminate duplicate media being imported into your library. Which is good, but it's doing it in a really stupid way - it's de-duping files by filename, not by, say, the file hash.

I assemble the virtual services every week for my church so I deal with a pile of movies and image files every week. Some of these images have the same filename, but the file contents change weekly (announcement slides, for example - slide1.png, slide2.png, etc). Sometimes, iMovie won't let me import them.

Sometimes - and even more maddening - iMovie will let the file in but then mix it up with the other file by the same name. To add to that madness, the thumbnail displayed in my movie's timeline sometimes is not the same as what is actually incorporated into the final movie!

So, yeah, massively frustrating. I hope Apple is aware of this and is fixing it. Otherwise, I'm going to move to Adobe Premiere.

James

Oct 16, 2020 12:08 PM in response to MatthewMaury

Hi, Matthew,

Try deleting preferences. That often cures import problems.

To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete

preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can drag photos into iMovie.

Another way to import photos is to click on the Photos item in the iMovie media sidebar. That will display in the media browser screen the photos in your Photos library. You can drag them into the timeline from there.

-- Rich

Oct 16, 2020 12:24 PM in response to Rich839

It takes several minutes for I movie to load, do I hold down the option and command keys the whole time? I tried doing this and Imovie didn't open at all. Further. "I-movie sidebar", sorry I don't know what that is. I HAVE tried dragging the photo into the project, doesn't work, I tried dragging the photo into the time line, didn't work. I've tried dragging different photos, didn't work. The only thing that works are photos that are already in other projects, THOSE I am able to drag into this project.

Imovie won't let me drag a photo into my project? Why not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.