You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPhone take my new Gmail password?

For security reasons I changed my Gmail password. It's the main Gmail that is used for my Apple account. However, my iPhone 8 Plus that is running iOS 14.0.1 will not accept the new password I am using for this Gmail account. How do I remedy this problem?

Just a note, I do get a text authentication when I log into this gmail account from Safari. However, I do not get a text authentication when I try to log in from Google Chrome. So maybe this is related to this issue.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 5:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 6:19 AM

The directions clearly state:

"Tip: iPhones and iPads with iOS 11 or up don’t require App Passwords. Instead use “Sign in with Google.”

If the app doesn’t offer “Sign in with Google,” you can either:"

For some reason, when I went to "add account" and choose "google" this time it took my password. I'm not sure why it took so long.

Anyway, thank you for your reply. :)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2020 6:19 AM in response to SravanKrA

The directions clearly state:

"Tip: iPhones and iPads with iOS 11 or up don’t require App Passwords. Instead use “Sign in with Google.”

If the app doesn’t offer “Sign in with Google,” you can either:"

For some reason, when I went to "add account" and choose "google" this time it took my password. I'm not sure why it took so long.

Anyway, thank you for your reply. :)

Why won't my iPhone take my new Gmail password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.