You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD won't eject

A DVD won't eject from my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7).

The superdrive works, i.e. I can play the DVD. When I try to eject it, it makes noises but won't eject the dvd, not even partially.

I had put an identical DVD (they are duplicates, i.e. copies) in just before this DVD and was able to eject it easily from the DVD player menu.

It's a homemade DVD. Video of a granddaughter.

I've tried every way to eject it:

1) From the DVD player controls

2) Right clicking on the DVD in the sidebar

3) Select the DVD icon on the desktop and doing a Command E

4) From the Disk Utility

6) From Terminal - drutil eject

7) Pushing the eject key

8) Restarting the computer while holding down the Mouse key. This doesn't even make the superdrive make a noise, though. All the other options do.

When I quit DVD player and try methods 1 - 7, DVD player restarts and shows the DVD's menu.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 11:13 AM

Restart the Mac while holding down the eject key on the keyboard. This works for me.

2 replies

DVD won't eject

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.