You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers update

when trying to update numbers, I only get the circle (of death) and then it stops. any ideas on how to get it to actually update?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 7:36 PM

I suggest deleting Numbers, emptying the Trash & restarting your Mac. Then try downloading Numbers again. If that still doesn't work, go through the delete & restart again but, this time, hold down the shift key after you hear the startup bong. It will take longer to start & log in but this process cleans up a lot of background stuff that a regular restart doesn't.

When I finally decided to upgrade to Catalina about a month ago I wasn't able to get the iWork apps to update either. I think my problem was more related to the fact that I upgraded from High Sierra & the associated iWork versions, skipping Mojave entirely. I did the delete & redownload dance before it worked.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 20, 2020 7:36 PM in response to Shiftless

I suggest deleting Numbers, emptying the Trash & restarting your Mac. Then try downloading Numbers again. If that still doesn't work, go through the delete & restart again but, this time, hold down the shift key after you hear the startup bong. It will take longer to start & log in but this process cleans up a lot of background stuff that a regular restart doesn't.

When I finally decided to upgrade to Catalina about a month ago I wasn't able to get the iWork apps to update either. I think my problem was more related to the fact that I upgraded from High Sierra & the associated iWork versions, skipping Mojave entirely. I did the delete & redownload dance before it worked.

Oct 21, 2020 4:52 AM in response to Peggy

Thank you Peggy! I think it was the restart that did it inn my case.

1. Delete app.
  2. Empty trash.
  3. Shut down.
  4. Start up.
  5. Download app.
  6. It works!

Note that in my case, for some reason, I seldom can do a Restart from the Apple menu on my iMac. Even if I have most/all apps closed down first. The process hangs someplace along the way. So I shut down, wait a minute, then power up again.

Agin, thanks!

numbers update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.