You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Work Outs Pause While Exercising

I had a Apple watch series 4. After the update to ios 14 and watch os7 whenever I work out (weights or indoor cycling) the watch will stop every 10 seconds. I tried different bands, I tried making it tighter, looser, moving it up my wrist, down etc. Nothing helped.

So...

I bought a series 5 thinking maybe, just maybe it was my watch. Nope. Same exact issues. I ride on peloton and while Im cycling the watch will pause every 10 seconds and I can either resume (for another 10 seconds) or end. Very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this??

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 9:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 2:33 PM

Hi jhy78,

We see you're having an issue with your workouts unexpectedly pausing. We can certainly understand the need to have them record the entire workout. We'd be happy to help out.

It sounds like you've tried a few things already, but just to be sure, check out the guidance in the "A better fit means better readings" section here:

Wearing your Apple Watch

There are also some other factors that may affect things, such as tattoos, or other permanent and temporary skin changes.

If all of the above seems OK, try toggling off Wrist Detection in the iOS Watch app > My Watch > Passcode. This would rule out that feature as being the cause. If possible, also try having a family member briefly use the Apple Watch for a few moments during a workout, to help isolate that down.

Take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 25, 2020 2:33 PM in response to jhy78

Hi jhy78,

We see you're having an issue with your workouts unexpectedly pausing. We can certainly understand the need to have them record the entire workout. We'd be happy to help out.

It sounds like you've tried a few things already, but just to be sure, check out the guidance in the "A better fit means better readings" section here:

Wearing your Apple Watch

There are also some other factors that may affect things, such as tattoos, or other permanent and temporary skin changes.

If all of the above seems OK, try toggling off Wrist Detection in the iOS Watch app > My Watch > Passcode. This would rule out that feature as being the cause. If possible, also try having a family member briefly use the Apple Watch for a few moments during a workout, to help isolate that down.

Take care!

Oct 25, 2020 2:52 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thank you for your reply!

While I do have tattoos on my arm and wrist I had never experienced this issue with the watch before. Having said that, I took your advice and turned off "wrist detection" and that seems to have fixed it! I hopped on my peloton and rode for 10 mins just to do a quick test and no pausing. Thank you!

Apple Watch Work Outs Pause While Exercising

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.