You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two drives in utility Macintosh HD-Data and Macintosh HD Data - Data

While updating my macbook to Mac OS Mojave installation failed and it got stuck on the boot up page. Then running it on recovery mode I chose Reinstall Mac OS option after installing the OS I had to set it up as a New Mac and all my data appeared to be lost but then running disk utility I found that my Mac is showing two Hard Drives namely Macintosh HD - Data and Macintosh HD - Data - Data.

Everything that I am doing now is being saved in Macintosh HD - Data while all of my old data is there in Macintosh HD Data - Data.

Both the drives are writeable.

How do I solve this issue ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 2:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 8:53 PM

You installed on the wrong volume, so the startup volume is named Macintosh HD - Data and the data drive is named Macintosh HD - Data - Data.

In Finder, rename your startup drive to Macintosh HD ( or anything you want). The data volume will update to match.

Catalina splits the startup drive into two Volumes, one for the OS and one for your data and third-party applications or Apple Apps that are not fundamental to the OS.

When you reinstalled, you did so on the - Data volume causing it to create a data volume named the same, but with an additional - Data.

If you did not erase the - Data volume before installing, it would still have all of your data on it.

Do you have a backup? You should erase the disk completely, reinstall the OS, then migrate your data from the backup when the Setup Assistant runs after installation.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 20, 2020 8:53 PM in response to priyam98

You installed on the wrong volume, so the startup volume is named Macintosh HD - Data and the data drive is named Macintosh HD - Data - Data.

In Finder, rename your startup drive to Macintosh HD ( or anything you want). The data volume will update to match.

Catalina splits the startup drive into two Volumes, one for the OS and one for your data and third-party applications or Apple Apps that are not fundamental to the OS.

When you reinstalled, you did so on the - Data volume causing it to create a data volume named the same, but with an additional - Data.

If you did not erase the - Data volume before installing, it would still have all of your data on it.

Do you have a backup? You should erase the disk completely, reinstall the OS, then migrate your data from the backup when the Setup Assistant runs after installation.

Two drives in utility Macintosh HD-Data and Macintosh HD Data - Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.