You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PAGES not allowing pasting

When I copy from NUMBERS and try and PASTE into PAGES nothing happens?

iMac Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 12:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 9:06 AM

On High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14033), I can copy and paste the same content as previous from Numbers v6.1 into Pages v8.1 with full table appearance, and formula functionality.

I suggest that you reboot your Mac into Safe Boot mode (press the shift key during boot until you see the progess bar), attempt the copy/paste operation, and then reboot normally. If the copy/paste works in Safe Boot mode, and but not when you try again after a normal boot, then I have to ask if you have installed any third-party clipboard software?

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2020 9:06 AM in response to Katebetty

On High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14033), I can copy and paste the same content as previous from Numbers v6.1 into Pages v8.1 with full table appearance, and formula functionality.

I suggest that you reboot your Mac into Safe Boot mode (press the shift key during boot until you see the progess bar), attempt the copy/paste operation, and then reboot normally. If the copy/paste works in Safe Boot mode, and but not when you try again after a normal boot, then I have to ask if you have installed any third-party clipboard software?

Oct 23, 2020 7:45 AM in response to Katebetty

At no point in this thread have you mentioned the following:

1. Specific version of the operating system (menu : about this mac)
  2. Specific version of Pages and Numbers
    1. Pages menu : About Pages
    2. Numbers menu : About Numbers

On Mojave 10.14.6, I can copy cells from Numbers '09 v2.3, or Numbers v10.1, and paste directly into Pages v10.1. Unlike Numbers v10.1, Numbers '09 does not send a particular clipboard item that activates the Pages v10.1 Edit menu : Paste Formula Results.

On Catalina 10.15.7, I can copy a table selection to the clipboard from Numbers v10.2, and paste directly into Pages v10.2 using just control-V. All formatting, cell color, and formulas are preserved. The following is the content from Numbers v10.2:

And the formula that summarizes by Program name, and in particular, for Adaptil:

All functions that summarize the respective Program times continue to work in Pages v10.2 when any time value is changed.

Oct 22, 2020 2:01 AM in response to Katebetty

Hi Kate,

What type of materialare you copying from Numbers?

Have you tied pasting the copied material onto a new sheet in Numbers?

(This would confirm that you have actually copied the material to the clipboard)

If it successfully pastes there, go to Pages immediately and repeat the paste there,

then return to Numbers and remove hte copy pasted to the new sheet.

How are you pasting the material into Pages? Do you click on the place where you want it pasted?

Are you trying to paste it into the main text stream in the Pages document, or into an empty space in the page, or into a container, such as a text box or a shape?

A more complete description of the steps you take, click by click and keystroke by keystroke, would likely provide an idea of where the possible break points ar located.

Regards,

Barry

Oct 22, 2020 2:46 AM in response to Katebetty

Hi Kate,

Still missing many of the details.

(This would confirm that you have actually copied the material to the clipboard)

If it successfully pastes there, go to Pages immediately and repeat the paste there,

then return to Numbers and remove hte copy pasted to the new sheet.

How are you pasting the material into Pages? Do you click on the place where you want it pasted?

Are you trying to paste it into the main text stream in the Pages document, or into an empty space in the page, or into a container, such as a text box or a shape?

A more complete description of the steps you take, click by click and keystroke by keystroke, would likely provide an idea of where the possible break points ar located.

Regards,

Barry

Oct 22, 2020 8:03 AM in response to Katebetty

Control-C and Control-V are Windows copy/paste shortcuts, and on the Mac it is command-C/command-V for ordinary copy/paste, and shift+option+command-V for Pages Paste and Match Style.

If you copy a Numbers sheet selection to the clipboard, the above Mac paste operations will create a new table object in Pages. If you already have a table in Pages, click once in its first cell, and then a paste operation will populate that table with the Numbers data — expanding the table rows and columns to match the source. Pages does not support all of Numbers cell formats, so caveat emptor.

Oct 23, 2020 1:50 AM in response to Barry

I've tried a number of different copies and none work - even a simple copy of a Word from a single cell.

Yes that works

How are you pasting the material into Pages?

Do you click on the place where you want it pasted? Yes

Are you trying to paste it into the main text stream in the Pages document, or into an empty space in the page, or into a container, such as a text box or a shape? Its a Blank PAGES document - just into main text stream

Ctl C in NUMBERS, and Ctl V in PAGES

I've also tried Copy and Paste from the drop down menus at top of screen

PAGES not allowing pasting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.